Monday, October 27, 2014

Finding the moment

 
László László Révész, Josephina and her sisters, 100 x 120cm  acrilyc on canvas, 2010

I spent months working on this text. No sorry, I spent months procrastinate working on this text because it is an extremly scarry thing to do, to write about something what you know you want to write about, but you also know that you are just at the beginning of getting something known. After a while I realized that point will never exist where I know enough about the thing I want to talk about and I feel confident, but all the conclusions what I already have or expirienced already are part of a continuity. This continuity is for me the painting itself.
Few months before I visited the studio of László László Révész. He has a quite small studio, but when you step in, you can not imagine how much he has worked. Pictures are all over the space. And not just pictures but photos, video sketches and stencils for shadowplay videos, drawings and sketches for theatrical works, and notices for scripts...etc. I could spend a week easily with looking everything just once. Why it was a hard thing to write about his paintings, because I coud not decide, what I want to write about first. Do I want to consture his paintings? I do not think I am so smart and that I have so much knowledge to do that. Do I want to write about the attitude of an artist? Well, that is a kind of topic I want to write about soon, and than definitely I will show his work too. Or do I want to write about what is painting for me? Yes, here we are. I want to write about painting. As I mentioned at the beginning I do not think that I have a huge secret to unleash and blow out your minds. I do not think that I have something terrible new to say, but I have been thinking a lot about painting and art, why it is important, why the artist has to bring reasons for its existence, what is painting still capable for in this world, where everyone has a smartphone.
After all these questions, I went to look at two exhibition. One here in Budapest, and one in Vienna. Observing art of any kind, but expecially painting is about continutity. You are living in your time at place what you need to understand. You can not ignore where you have born, what that place is, what problems there are, what speciality the place has. With this comes a bigger community and that is all the painters who painted even just one picture ever. We are looking at each others work carefully, we admire each other or sometimes we hate each other but in every case we learn from each other.

 
László László Révész, Lady with melons, 100 x 140 cm,              oil on canvas, 1997


This method gives a very intimate rhythm to the community of painters. On the other heand and let's not forget about this other heand at this time, otherwise the circle is not complet. As circles are a quite nice and integrate form so I try to make one with my thoughts. The artist community is quite a nice thing in itself, but artist always make pictures to watch. There are the viewers, who stand infront of a picture and get out from his/her head and disolve into another world. So pictures lead to a fuller life because they make you feel more appart of the world and a part of other people's lifes. That is not something what you can do on your own. You need those paintings, drawings to experience that. Painters make the passage to that moment.
Every time I look at a picture of Révész I feel I can understand everything in the world or not but I do not care anymore, because I am looking at this picture. He gives you a moment what you did not know you were waiting for, but you will realize it immediately this is the one you were interested in.

Révész is now working on a theatrical work with Karkade Company in Budapest. He is the founder of the group and the writer of the plays. Their first show was CAN, where graduating class of acrobats of a hungarian high school were playing. " The project began to evolve and attained interest on various cultural platforms, that allowed it's voice to be widely heared." The project is continnuing this year. You can follow the work of the group on faceboook: www.facebook.com/karkadecompany
Beside this work Révész started to make every day blue ink sketches what I want to show you next time, because it is a beautiful artwork full of energy and humor.  

You can find more work of Révész here: www.revesz.info or https://www.facebook.com/pages/Laszlo-Laszlo-Revesz/349118008443117

 
László László Révész, Travels, 175 x 160 cm, charcoal, pencil on paper, 2009
 
 

 
 László László Révész, Face, 70 x 50 cm, mixed media on paper, 1986

No comments:

Post a Comment